From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: masked package woes
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 04:50:29
1 Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
4 > The entire tree is in /usr/portage. For example, all possible
5 > net-analyzer packages are /usr/portage/net-analyzer. "find
6 > /usr/portage -name '*.ebuild'" will show you all ebuilds in the tree,
7 > masked or not, installed or not. Compare this to what you actually
8 > have installed under /var/db/pkg.
9
10 This make things more clear.
11
12 > Also, the portage CVS tree can be viewed at:
13 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=gentoo-x86
14
15 OK
16
17 > > I only said this because 'emerge -s jffnms' has previously shown
18 > > the package (in red) as masked. Plus this page was created:
19 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~angusyoung/docs/jffnms/docs/jffnms.html
20
21 > Ok, but view his blog here:
22 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~angusyoung/blog/
23 > Notice the statement "...which I hope to add to portage in the near future".
24
25 Cool.
26
27 > It is entirely possible (but incorrect) to place ebuilds downloaded
28 > manually into the /usr/portage tree. It is also possible (and
29 > correct) to place those ebuilds into PORTAGE_OVERLAY.
30
31 Yes, I'm following these instructions:
32 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_
33 Ebuilds#ebuild:_A_Safer_Approach
34
35 > You (or someone else with root access to the system) must have done
36 > one or the other on the system that shows it as available.
37
38 Yes it was a long time ago, and I just do not remember.
39 Nobody else has root on the system.....
40
41 Thanks for the help, Everyone....
44 James
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list