From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] different equal versions question
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:11:30
1 On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:57:32 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > | It happens, usually when a bug is discovered in an ebuild.
4 > |
5 > | I don't think it's a good idea. If the ebuild is changed, the
6 > | revision should be bumped (IMO).
7 >
8 > Think about what you said, especially in relation to KEYWORDS.
9
10 I wasn't thinking about keywords. that's a different situation. If you
11 are already using the package, the addition of architecture's keyword,
12 or the removal of ~, makes no difference. If it is your keyword added,
13 you most likely don't have the package installed yet (unless you were
14 the one reporting that it works).
15
16 I have seen instances where a bug is fixed and the version left the
17 same. Where a package won't merge, yet a re-sync makes it work. That
18 seems wrong to me.
19
20 > Also, I'd
21 > suggest reading the ebuild policy docs on that, we have rules on when
22 > we do and don't -r bump.
23
24 I was only expressing my opinion, so the policy isn't really relevant.
25 But I'll take a look.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 I have a spelling checker, it came with my Pea See;
32 It helps me too correct Miss Steaks eye mite knot sea.
33 I ran these versus threw it, yew mae bee pleased too no
34 Its word prefect in every weight; my spell cheque tolled me sew!