From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: UEFI install noob questions
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 04:04:31
1 On 2020-12-27, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:53:27AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
3 >
4 >> I understand why someone used to GRUB would want to continue with
5 >> it on a UEFI system, but you have no experience of it so why are
6 >> you picking the boot manager that is hardest to configure, not to
7 >> mention the most bloated?
8 >>
9 >> Referencing your sig, GRUB is the desktop environment of boot
10 >> managers, the boot loader equivalent of emacs :)
11 >
12 > I believe grub only has to be set up once, unless you often change
13 > boot drives, etc. If it's "set it and forget it" for a single-user,
14 > single hard-drive system, I'm OK with a one-time complex set-up.
15
16 Grub itself isn't complex to set up if you just create a grub.cfg file
17 manually. Doing that is trivial. My config files typically range from
18 5 lines (single kernel) to 20 lines (a couple different
19 kernels). What's complex is the auto-magical, AI-driven,
20 devs-know-better-thab-you grub configuration generator systems that
21 various distros use to generate config files that are hundreds of
22 lines long and yet refuse to do what you want.
25 Grant