From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:46:40
1 On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:13:53 +0100 Marc Stürmer <mail@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Am 24.11.2014 um 19:25 schrieb Gevisz:
4 >
5 > > I switched from Ubuntu 10.04 to Gentoo just because it forced closing
6 > > window button "x" to the upper-left corner of the window in Unity of
7 > > Ubuntu 12.04 while I used to look for it in the upper-right corner. :)
8 > >
9 > > So, I see no reason that those that hate systemd would not do the same.
10 >
11 > I also did for my own server.
12 >
13 > But the real strength and home of Debian on a server is in the corporate
14 > environment, and in a CE you are facing other challenges, namely:
15 >
16 > * long term support (meaning for a few years),
17
18 Yes, I do agree with you. Long term support is indeed a challenge,
19 especially when it ends and you have to update to the new release.
20
21 > * stable releases with a more or less stable and predictable release cycle,
22
23 Yes, predictable release cycle with unpredictable changes from
24 one release to the other is also a challenge. Especially when your
25 video card stops working after the upgrade. For example from Ubuntu 6.04
26 to Ubunto 8.04.
27
28 > * steady stream of security updates as long as the release is being
29 > supported.
30
31 Yes, updates come almost every day and their downloading and installing
32 takes almost the same time as daily upgrade of Gentoo. (Except for compiling
33 a new Firefox, of course. But now, this problem in Gentoo is solved by
34 freezing the version of this browser: 24.8.0 in stable Gentoo tree vs
35 33.0 in Ubunto 12.04. :)
38 > > ... the downloading all that crap also takes a lot of time.
39 >
40 > Downloading binaries takes of course some time, yes. But downloading
41 > e.g. the source code of Chromium compared to the binary of Chromium does
42 > take a multiply longer. And after the download of the binary you just
43 > need to unpack it and are ready to run it, on Gentoo you need to compile
44 > it.
45 >
46 > So binaries are by every mean faster to download and run than
47 > downloading the source, compiling it and then running it on a server.
48
49 It depends on your connection speed.
50
51 > Even downloading the biggest archives and installing (without
52 > configuration) is normally done in under one minute.
53
54 It usually took me from 10 to 20 minutes to download my daily updates
55 in Ubuntu. For big packages - about 40 minutes or even more.
56
57 > That's the time saving aspect
58
59 lol :)
60
61 > Of course you got another can of worms that may be bug you instead.
62
63 My English is not so good to understand idioms
64 but I guess that here we agree. :)
65
66 > And if you don't like the example of Chromium, then take MySQL e.g.
67 > instead.
68 >
69 > People in a CE rarely have the time to deal with the added complicity of
70 > Gentoo compared to binary based distributions, and therefore Gentoo just
71 > don't fit for most of them.
72
73 If CE stands for Commercial Environment, I can agree.
74
75 > The thing is: compiling your own binaries on a production server is
76 > something many people won't like, because it takes power from the other
77 > processes away for that time.
78
79 Agree.
80
81 > And having a fully fledged C/C++ compiler running on your server is a
82 > security hole, if you are paranoid enough.
83
84 Never thought about it, but may be you are right.
85
86 > Of course you could setup just a compiling server for all of your
87 > other servers, but this takes time and adds complexity.
88
89 Agree.
90
91 > > Steady "release cycle" is also not so good.
92 >
93 > It depends on your case.
94
95 Here I also can agree.
96
97 > All the major BSDs, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD, have had a steady
98 > release cycle - a new release every half year - for almost two decades
99 > now and they are content with that.
100
101 Probably they do not change API (or reposition window control buttons :)
102 every 6 months.