From: "Marc Stürmer" <mail@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 07:46:04
1 Am 25.11.2014 um 18:44 schrieb Gevisz:
2
3 > It usually took me from 10 to 20 minutes to download my daily updates
4 > in Ubuntu. For big packages - about 40 minutes or even more.
5 >
6 >> That's the time saving aspect
7 >
8 > lol :)
9
10 Not "lol", it is like I told you. Binary distributions are a big, big
11 time saver compared to a rolling update source based meta distribution
12 like Gentoo.
13
14 Another reason why many stick with Distros like e.g. Debian, SuSE or
15 Ubuntu is:
16
17 * you got a standardized environment/system.
18
19 That's also a very big requirement if using it in a corporate
20 environment, if not the most important one.
21
22 I am not saying that this is not doable with Gentoo, but to achieve it
23 with Gentoo you've got to implement quite some things. For Debian e.g.
24 it comes free out of the box.