From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Way OT] Tally ho!
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 19:29:32
1 On 29/06/2014 18:38, Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> Of course! I missed the Spitfire, so I don't know how high it flew, but the
4 >> Hurricane sound from no more than a couple of hundred feet or so was among the
5 >> two or three most impressive of my life. Both planes have V12 Rolls-Royce
6 >> Merlin engines (I think). As each cylinder fired, the sound pressure went up
7 >> extremely fast at the start of the exhaust beat, suggesting huge exhaust
8 >> valves, and the deep-throated roar was ... just ... beyond description.
9 >>
10 >> The only engine to come close was an extraordinary 1/3 scale model of a nine-
11 >> cylinder radial aero-engine I saw years ago at a national model engineering
12 >> exhibition. The crankshaft was anchored to the frame, and the entire engine
13 >> and prop rotated around it. That's what you call air-cooling! Absolutely
14 >> fantastic when he fired it up once an hour or so!
15 >
16 > Yep. Some of those prop engines are very powerful, maybe not so
17 > efficient tho. Anyway, they sure do make some noise even if the engine
18 > is small. I don't think they have mufflers or if they do, it isn't much
19 > of one. I also think they burn methanol or something too. I'm not sure
20 > and it may even vary from one engine to another. I don't think they
21 > burn plain old gas like cars.
24 The Harvard trainers we were using when I was in the military all used
25 140-odd octane gasoline, I beleive that's normal for aircraft piston
26 engines. It's still gas, but not what you put in the car. You should see
27 what that stuff does for a little old 1600 Mazda - goes like the
28 clappers but the motor doesn't last very long :-)
29
30 Those Harvards[1] are famous around here, anyone in the SAAF until 15
31 years ago knows the sound well, it's very distinctive. Nowhere near as
32 loud as the V12 Merlin
36 [1]
37 http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforce/aircraft/38/harvard-1-iia-iii-na-88
45 >>> I live about 4 or 5 miles from a air force base here. We have mostly
46 >>> training type planes that fly over us but on occasion, we have something
47 >>> really big here. We have even had the space shuttle land there a few times.
48 >>> The B2 bombers have been there as well.
49 >> Sounds like a good place to live! That's not Edwards, is it? I drove up to the
50 >> gates once to see what they'd say. They were actually quite polite.
51 >
52 > I'm close to Columbus Air Force base in Mississippi. It has a huge
53 > runway. It is one reason the space shuttle lands here. It takes a long
54 > runway to land and take off when carrying that thing. I say space
55 > shuttle, it's mounted on the back of a 747 I think. What's more neat
56 > tho is the big bombers. My Dad several decades ago was doing a contract
57 > job at the base. For some reason they had the really big bombers out
58 > there with armed military guards everywhere. They wouldn't let anyone
59 > even near those things. He could see them real good tho. He said "it
60 > looked like death, just plain death". Later on my Dad found out it was
61 > loaded up with bombs that they were moving somewhere else. Death was
62 > more accurate than he thought.
63
64 I also spent time at Hoedspruit, and every time the Shuttle was coming
65 home the base would be on standby alert. there's two runways in the
66 southern hemisphere that could land a shuttle - Hoedspruit (7 miles) and
67 one in Australia somewhere. It was never needed so we never did get to
68 see a Shuttle live. Pity, but maybe it's for the best, I don't recall
69 ever seeing a 70 ton mobile crane hanging around to get it up onto a 747
70 for the flight home :-)
74 We *do* get to see the USAF's enormous transport planes every two when
75 the SAAF puts on it's bi-annual air-show. USAF is kind enough to always
76 bring their big 'uns. But never the good stuff, so we don't get to see
77 the B2 :-(
86 Alan McKinnon
87 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com