From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 19:19:34
1 On 4/22/20 3:15 PM, Michael Jones wrote:
2 >
3 > Why would I need to emerge world? Portage knows the full list of
4 > packages that depend on openssl, transitively.
5 >
6 > Unless you're generalizing to say that (almost) everything depends on
7 > openssl, I suppose.
8 >
9 > Also, didn't the handbook, at one point, say not to sync portage more
10 > than once a day? So why would package installations happen 20 times per
11 > day?
12
13 It's not that everything depends on OpenSSL, but that everything depends
14 on /something/. If everything is statically linked, then any update of
15 any package sets off a chain reaction of other packages that trigger
16 rebuilds of other packages that trigger rebuilds of...
17
18 If you only sync once a day, then yes, you'll only have to rebuild once
19 a day. I sync considerably more than that though, and besides, it takes
20 me about a week to emerge -e @world.