From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 19:22:19
1 On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 2:19 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 4/22/20 3:15 PM, Michael Jones wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Why would I need to emerge world? Portage knows the full list of
6 > > packages that depend on openssl, transitively.
7 > >
8 > > Unless you're generalizing to say that (almost) everything depends on
9 > > openssl, I suppose.
10 > >
11 > > Also, didn't the handbook, at one point, say not to sync portage more
12 > > than once a day? So why would package installations happen 20 times per
13 > > day?
14 >
15 > It's not that everything depends on OpenSSL, but that everything depends
16 > on /something/. If everything is statically linked, then any update of
17 > any package sets off a chain reaction of other packages that trigger
18 > rebuilds of other packages that trigger rebuilds of...
19 >
20 > If you only sync once a day, then yes, you'll only have to rebuild once
21 > a day. I sync considerably more than that though, and besides, it takes
22 > me about a week to emerge -e @world.
26 Well, I suppose that's the consequence that someone would have to accept if
27 they wanted to link things statically.
28
29 I use static libraries for work in some situations, and understand the cost
30 of using them
31
32 But I don't generally want my entire system statically linked, only a few
33 things.
34
35 Regardless, thank you for clarifying.