From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update fails, but I don't see why
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 23:38:10
1 On 14/12/2020 12:55, n952162 wrote:
2 > On 12/14/20 11:17 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 14/12/20 08:51, Dale wrote:
4 >>> If you are able, maybe you can compile the bigger packages on a faster
5 >>> system?  If it is a option, it may help.
6
7 >> If I have multiple similar machines, I create a shared a shared local
8 >> repository. Then I run emerge with the settings (can't remember what
9 >> they are) "use binary if it's there, create binary".
10 >>
11 >> That way, especially the big ones, only get built on one machine.
14 > Oh man!  That would be wonderful.  How similar do they need to be?  All
15 > my x86 machines are currently AMD, I think, but probably from different
16 > generations.
17 >
18 What I would do is find out whatever -march fits the oldest chip, and
19 then set that for all the machines. Especially if, as you say, they're
20 all AMD the chances are the newer chips will be a superset of the old,
21 so by compiling for the oldest it *should* (famous last words) work
22 everywhere.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Wol