From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unexpected Power Loss!
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 01:12:00
1 Willie wrote:
2 > Hey Everyone,
3 >
4 > I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. It seems that
5 > whenever I am in Linux my computer will just turn off. Not shutdown
6 > like I did "shutdown -r now". Just completely off out of the blue at
7 > random times. I have been reading the logs but there is nothing
8 > helpful at all. It is never the same thing on the logs when it does
9 > just shutdown. Sometime I can boot up and it will go off when it says
10 > "Waiting for udev events to finish" or something like that.
11 >
12 > I haven't done any major upgrades in awhile, there is really nothing
13 > different. I installed Windows last night to see if it is a hardware
14 > thing but nope it stays on. I also tried reinstalling Gentoo on a
15 > couple of occasions on another Hard Drive but it just shutdown while I
16 > was getting it done.
17 >
18 > Any help is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to be in Windows
19 > after I spent all that time customizing my XFCE4 desktop.
20 >
21 > --
22 >
23 > Willie Matthews
24 > matthews.willie@×××××.com <mailto:matthews.willie@×××××.com>
25
26 Do you have a setting somewhere that when a fan gets below a certain
27 speed it shuts down thinking the fan has failed? I know on mine I have
28 to turn that feature off, especially in the winter. Sometimes my fans
29 only turn at a couple hundred rpms. The mobo sometimes thinks the fan
30 has failed. It seems to vary by brand as to what it does when this
31 happens but I suspect something in Linux not the BIOS itself.
32
33 Since winders works, which is odd unto itself lol, then it has to be
34 some setting in Linux. I wouldn't think it would be the kernel since it
35 usually locks up instead of cutting off. Do you have lm-sensors
36 installed? I think it has the ability to do this sort of thing. That
37 would be IF this is causing the problem to begin with. ;-)
38
39 I'm sure you will get lots of ideas on this one tho. There can be a lot
40 of causes.
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!