From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a USB-key-to-hard-drive-tap-dance-boot possible?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 01:08:01
1 On 25/12/2020 18:24, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 11:41:03 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 >> After 20 years on linux, I've been reduced to a newbie. BIOS boot,
5 >> Lilo, and fdisk served me well for 2 decades. Now I'm going to have to
6 >> learn UEFI, grub, and parted all at once. I'll start a new thread
7 >> tomorrow once I have my config files copied off. Then I'll install UEFI
8 >> mode properly.
9 >
10 > UEFI is dead simple, and you can use gdisk, which is the GPT variant of
11 > fdisk. So that only leave the boot manager to learn, and if you don't
12 > already know GRUB, I'd say start with something simpler.
15 I got the impression that on newer systems, gdisk and fdisk were the
16 same thing ...
17
18 Certainly I moved to gdisk because "fdisk can't handle GPTs", and then
19 someone said "oh yes it can" so I investigated and oh yes it could. I
20 still use gdisk, but as I say they now appear to be the same thing.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol