From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Adsl, rp-ppoe and new IP assignment
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:56:00
1 Sean Lester <SFLester <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
5 > First, if this is not the first time you've seen this I apologize.
6 > I lost all of my last 24hrs of email.
7
8 If you use gmane:
9 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user
10 The postings never disappear....
13 > I have been running pppoe by roaring penguin for
14 > a couple of years now. Everything works fine when I bring up the network
15 > (my interface comes up, an ip is assigned, my firewall is configured,
16 > and dns2go is fired up). This runs fine as long as my ISP doesn't
17 > change my IP address. I have a file called ip-up.local in the etc/ppp
18 > directory that coordinates all of this, so I think the if-up.local is
19 > working.
20
21 http://www.akadia.com/services/pppoe_iptables.html <might help>
22
23 > Once my ISP changes
24 > my IP, my network is hung (meaning I can't get out and routing is messed
25 > up). If I type "route" I don't have a default route anymore. If
26 > I run adsl-status, it'll tell me that it's up. However, I'm not so sure it
27 > is. What I have to do is run adsl-stop, adsl-start, than the iptables
28 > configuration. What is different here, then at startup? Any
29 > advice?
30
31 Well yes and no. I have read hundreds of web pages concerning iptables.
32 Somewhere I read a detailed explanation about pppoe hanging
33 and iptables solutions to that problem. However, I did not bookmark the
34 page, as I use a single static IP.
35
36 If you search (pppoe +iptables) and read long enough, I'm sure you'll
37 run across this detailed page, so sorry I did not save the link....
40 hth,
41 James
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list