From: Rupert Hair <rupert.hair@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-xbox@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-xbox] Anyone have a similar setup?
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:25:04
dbourgoyne@×××××××××.com wrote:
> If you're doing something similar, can you comment on your success. > > I currently have an xbox running Xebian with Evox. Through Evox I can > choose to play xbox or boot Xebian. Once in Xebian, MythTV starts and > becomes a mythtvfrontend.
I've never tried any of the modified dashboards or hacked BIOSes but I am running MythTV (both front- and back-ends) on an XBOX running real Gentoo.
> All my other computers are gentoo. I'd really like to switch from > Xebian to gentoo. Xebian currently resides in a 2GB loopback file. > > Questions: > > 1. Which is preferred gentoo-xbox or gentoox?
Well you are posting to a Gentoo (not GentooX) list so I think we are all going to say Gentoo. For me this is because I like the dependency and package customization of Gentoo.
> 2. Can gentoo-xbox be installed as a loopback file on E: and if so is > 2GB sufficient?
Yes it can be installed on a loopback file but 2GB may be a bit tight. My setup is currently sitting at 2.3GB used and although it will have a few more packages than you (mysql server and the myth back-end) you will probably come close to this figure and may even need more during compilation of something big like Xorg. Why not put a bigger disk in your XBOX so you can have a native GNU/Linux partition? I've heard you can do this with mod-chips and hacked BIOSes.
> 3. Can gentoo-xbox be started from Evox?
If Xebian can I'm sure Gentoo can. It will probably be as simple as overwriting the Xebian kernel and initial root disk (initrd) with the ones you compile for Gentoo.