From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:02:04
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 10:46, Aaron Shi wrote:
> For the graphic headings, in my reference I forgot to implement the > image replacement techique (i.e. what I did for the Gentoo logo), such > that for text browsers and for printing purposes, we can have text > there instead of graphics. I had not created a print template for the > front page as I doubt many people will print the front page, but > completenesssakes I should've done it. Actually, just looking at the > current code, it seemed that the image replacement was removed in the > current version. If you want to see what I meant, go to > http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepage.html and hit print preview. > You should see the GENTOO LINUX text at the top of the page. The text > is there, just hidden when using a modern graphical browser, but > displayed for text browsers/for printing purposes.
The problem is that your particular technique doesn't work for at least konqueror. It's probably better to use <object> tags as advertised by the W3C. While it doesn't work with very old browsers like NS 4, it should work with all modern ones, and is the advertised way of doing things.
> As for the alignment, I really haven't kept up with the changes in CSS > (didn't realize that the project was still alive, but being discussed > on a different list, until a few days ago). Much has been changed from > my reference CSS, I'd need to look it over. That'll be another thing > on the list for January. > > For now, the best I can do is respond to the list and apologize if the > responses seem rushed.
No problem, the most important thing is that the website becomes "perfect". I don't mind that happening after the launch (as long as it doesn't suck), as long as it happens sometime. The current push is just because it is probably easier to do things right in the beginning than to fix it up after the fact. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net