From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:00:51
1 On Wednesday 14 December 2005 11:58, Aaron Shi wrote:
2 > There are only a few occasions that warrant margin minimization, e.g.
3 > printing borderless photos on paper. The standard rule of thumb for
4 > text on screen is 0.5 inches (apparent). At least line up the left
5 > edge of the content text with the Gentoo logo. If you do, you'll
6 > notice that the Gentoo logo is lined up with the text and lined up with
7 > the credit logo at the bottom (the way it's intended). From there,
8 > logic dictates that whatever margin's on the left should be mirrored on
9 > the right (unless you're Picasso). Margin on top and bottom should be
10 > at least as large as the ones on the side. As for the adbar, all I can
11 > say is, you fit the furniture into the house, not the house onto the
12 > furniture. Ads are secondary or way down the list, why are we
13 > compromising the main objectives of the site over sub-sub-sub items?
14 >
15 > Turning margins back on would be a good idea... ;)
16
17 I agree with you here. Looking at the first sentence of
18 http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml#doc_chap3
19 The recommmended maximum words per line (around 10 to 12) is about
20 doubled. Besides the reading having become harder, the absense of the
21 margins also makes the pages look full.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Gentoo Developer