From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: eudev list <eudev@l.g.o>
Subject: [eudev] Can 70-persistent-net.rules be optional?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:04:40
1 I'm not a C programmer, but I do have a laptop I can use for beta
2 testing.
3
4 Regarding Richard Yao's statement about 70-persistent-net.rules; I can
5 see both sides of the issue, and some people are better off with and
6 some are better off without.
7
8 * In the Gentoo user forum, one item that achieved FAQ-level notoriety
9 was people who had installed a new network card complaining that it
10 didn't work in Gentoo when it worked fine in Windows. The smarter ones
11 would run ifconfig and notice that they had eth0 and eth1. They were
12 told to delete 70-persistent-net.rules, and they got their eth0 back.
13 Since the machines came up fine without 70-persistent-net.rules, and
14 70-persistent-net.rules seemed to be the cause of a lot of traffic on
15 the forum, many people probably submitted feature requests asking for
16 the removal of 70-persistent-net.rules, leading to its removal.
17
18 * The other side of the issue has people who have multi-card setups and
19 need things to come up in the same configuration the same every time.
20
21 Here's a compromise idea that should satisfy both groups... have eudev
22 read and implement 70-persistent-net.rules, if it exists, just like it
23 did in the past. But turn off the ability to *CREATE* a
24 70-persistent-net.rules file. Have a separate script or binary run
25 manually by the admin to create it. This way, the admins with
26 multi-card machines get their persistent rules, and users who don't
27 want/need it won't trip over it.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>