From: Keith Wessel <keith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] Brltty and systemd?
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:01:36
1 Hi, Michael,
2
3 No, haven't tried that route yet. That post says it'll work with Emacspeak,
4 but I prefer Speakup so I can have my screen reader right there in the
5 kernel at boot time.
6
7 Some recent posts from the Speakup list discuss some work-arounds to get a
8 USB to serial converter working on a 64-bit architecture which I'd need to
9 do. No big deal, I'm not afraid of a little kernel hacking.
10
11 And as I think about this more, if I built the right things in, it would
12 probably work from boot time.
13
14 I'll explore this route, thanks for the suggestion.
15
16 Still haven't rebooted into a system-based system, but I do have the
17 brltty.service file from ArchLinux in place. Other than modifying the path
18 to brltty from /usr/bin to /bin, what I have there is taken directly from
19 the link that Chris sent. I hope to try the big reboot later this week, and
20 I'll report back then.
21
22 Keith
23
24 -----Original Message-----
25 From: Michael J. Astrauskas [mailto:trevie@×××××.com]
26 Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 8:29 PM
27 To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
28 Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Brltty and systemd?
29
30 Keith,
31
32 Have you tried a USB-to-serial converter? A forum post at
33 http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~priestdo/emacspeak/2013/msg00582.html
34 <http://www.cs.vassar.edu/%7Epriestdo/emacspeak/2013/msg00582.html>
35 suggests it'll work for you.
38 - Michael