From: Robert Grieve <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 03:08:11
Thanks for the great new packge.

Owing to the amount of change in how this is set up,
I wonder if some docs need to be more actively published.
How much chance is there of altering the ebuild so we get some of the
documentation that used to live under /usr/linux/Documentation/speakup
under /usr/share/doc/speakup-3.X?

As far as the sftsyn situation I was asking about I have 3 further

To get software synthesis working, we need a synthesizer (like
festival,flite,or espeak), and we need a way to configure all the params
(like rates). 2 things used to be done for this. One was the files which
used to live under /proc/speakup, the other was a complex mesh of
synth,speech-dispatcher, synth specific configs, and speechd-up.

i)   I take it speechd-up is now dead and buried? Replaced by 'start=1'
ii)  I take it that the config files for rates etc now live in sysfs
iii) What services would you recommend adding to what runlevels for the
     userspace software synth? I'm currently assuming that espeak plus
     speech-dispatcher should about do it, and that the
     speech-dispatcher config still has meaning. Thoughts?

Thanks much

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>