From: Deedra Waters <dmwaters@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup in Gentoo sources.
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:28:19

A couple of things you should know about the livecd.

Don't use the 2.6 kernel, it's not configured for speakup, because it gets
stuck in an endless loop, and speakup is currently a bit broken with 2.6
right now anyway.

livewire can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if speakup is in
the current gentoo-sources, I know he was going to add them, but not sure
if he has yet.

I would recommend against using genkernel for the time being. I don't
think it supports speakup as of yet. I need to talk to swift about getting
things added to the install docs about  speakup stuff, I just keep
forgetting about it.
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Toby Fisher wrote:

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:40:50 +0000 (GMT) > From: Toby Fisher <toby@×××××××××××.uk> > Reply-To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o > To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o > Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup in Gentoo sources. > > Hi. > > I'm just about to install a ne w Gentoo system (not my first) and am > toying with using Genkernel to save some time. However, if I'm using the > Gentoo kernel from the livecd, which of course has Speakup in it, will the > sources it grabs also have Speakup in them? If not, is it worth putting a > health warning to this effect in the documentation for the next release, > as some unsuspecting newbie may find a broken Genkernel script (their > perception) or a non-speaking or broken kernel. > > Cheers. > > >

Subject Author