From: Keith Wessel <keith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] RE: Grub2 and serial consoles
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 21:42:49
1 After finding some docs for the values allowed in /etc/default/grub in the
2 Grub2 docs here:
3
4 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration
8 I've found what I believe are the answers to my questions. The following
9 values need to be added to /etc/default/grub:
10
11 GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
12
13 This is a shortcut for setting input and output separately since they both
14 need to be set to console and serial.
15
16 GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
17 usb1"
18
19 The usb1 should be substituted for your USB port. This doesn't seem to meet
20 the syntax for the serial command described in the Grub2 docs; the usb1 on
21 the end of the line isn't listed. I'm pulling this from the link below and
22 don't know if it'll actually work.
23
24 GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="several_modules_go_here"
28 The list of possible modules and the process for identifying the USB port
29 can be found in section 3.1.2 of this documentation:
30
31 http://www.coreboot.org/GRUB2
35 I still need to get sighted assistance to identify the USB port but suspect
36 this will work. If anyone has successfully made this change to
37 /etc/default/grub, I'd love to hear from you.
41 Keith
45 From: Keith Wessel [mailto:kwessel76@×××××.com] On Behalf Of Keith Wessel
46 Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 4:30 PM
47 To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
48 Subject: Grub2 and serial consoles
52 Hi,
56 Wondering if there's a way to have grub2-mkconfig include the lines needed
57 to enable a serial console in my grub.cfg. Can I add them to
58 /etc/grub.d/40_custom, or does that come too late in the file? I'd rather
59 not go hacking the headers include if I don't have to, unless that's the
60 right thing to do and Portage will be nice enough to not overwrite it
61 without first asking me.
65 I finally got around to upgrading to grub2! It went very smoothly. Since
66 grub2-mkconfig is available, I saw no reason to do a manual configuration. I
67 might have just found one, though.
71 I have a USB to serial adapter which I've been using as a great way to
72 handle emergencies when the system won't boot. I couldn't ever find a way to
73 get it working with legacy Grub, but it looks like, once I can identify the
74 USB port it's using, it's a matter of loading a couple more modules and
75 adding it to my terminal_input and terminal_output lines.
79 Qustion: can I add it to the 40_custom, 00_header, or something similar? Or
80 will I need to start maintaining my own grub.cfg?
84 Thanks,
85
86 Keith