From: Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Xorg installation
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 21:20:20
1 what CFLAGS did you use during emerge?
5 On 5/10/2013 13:51, Don Wilburn wrote:
6 > Dear alpha list,
7 >
8 > Seems pretty quiet, but I'll try anyway.
9 >
10 > I installed Gentoo a few days ago on a PWS500a. (says au)
11 > I told it to emerge xorg-x11.
12 > A simple "startx" made an effort to auto-configure. Now it goes
13 > directly to a black screen with a cursor and some yellow artifacts, but
14 > the computer is locked up.
15 > Xorg -configure reports failure, but it does write xorg.conf.new in the
16 > home directory. Xorg -config with that file gives a black screen and
17 > locks up.
18 > Either way doesn't leave any messages in the log file.
19 >
20 > There were some "warnings" after emerge finished, but I didn't write
21 > them down. I thought I'd see something on a google search, but that was
22 > a mistake.
23 >
24 > FWIW, the video card is a PCI nVidia GeForce FX 5200 with 256MB. It
25 > worked a couple years ago with Debian and FreeBSD alpha Xorg installations.
26 >
27 > Gentoo packages reports xorg 1.13.4 is stable for alpha. Any advice is
28 > appreciated.
29 >
30 > Adios, DW