From: Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Alpha boot CD has no jfs tools
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 00:27:35
1 On 6/12/2013 1:43 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > Some particular reason you want to use JFS?
3 My two regular old computers have a partition with Slackware installed,
4 one from 2005 and the other 2006. Both are JFS and have not been killed
5 by power outages or hard resets. I see JFS as "reliable," more so than
6 EXT3. Once I figured out that aboot didn't care my root partition was
7 JFS, I was happy. The BSD disklabel has enough slices to squander one
8 for a boot partition.
9 I don't think JFS wins any particular performance category, but I think
10 it's regarded as good all around. I'll put a couple subjective reasons
11 at the end.
12
13 > Probably best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.
14 Can you point me in the direction of where to file such a bug report?
15
16 I figured the alpha developer list is really small and whoever makes the
17 alpha install CD image would be on this mailing list. I'll download the
18 latest install image and check first. If jfs is still lacking, I'll try
19 reporting a bug.
20
21 Subjective reasons:
22 JFS came from IBM. They probably had some quality people developing JFS
23 for IBM products.
24 Hans Reiser is a convicted murderer. I don't want ReiserFS on my
25 computer.
26 I had a small amount of stock in SGI. They went bankrupt and cost me
27 money. So, by association, I hate SGI->Irix->XFS. Who needs XFS?
28 The Gentoo alpha install CD has utils for ReiserFS and XFS. Seems
29 strange to neglect JFS.
30 Thanks for the reply.
31
32 Adios, DW