From: Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] radeon questions
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 22:11:07
1 Thanks for your replies. Building the radeon driver into the kernel
2 seems to work, but trying to make it a module does not (for me anyway).
3 It makes me wonder if nouveau could work in a similar fashion.
4
5 My X crashes were hardware problems. The early DEC Personal Workstation
6 has a DMA problem with its 64-bit PCI slots. Some well-behaved cards
7 work fine, apparently. This Visiontek card doesn't make that list.
8 This is the first time I've had objective proof. Switching to a 32-bit
9 PCI slot fixed my crashes.
10 Once I found out those 64-bit slots were ordinary PCI. there was no
11 reason to put the vido card there anyway. If they were PCI-X (not
12 express), I could have gotten a 66MHz bus at least, but mine are fixed
13 at 33. Boo hoo.
14
15 My PNY GeForce 5200 did not cause problems in the bad slot. Maybe the
16 nv driver is too timid to cause a similar problem. Maybe the hardware
17 is less troublesome. The question is moot.
18
19 I let X default to my 17" non-widescreen LCD monitor's 1280x1024 and
20 24-bit color. My first successful start of glxgears yielded about
21 60fps. I'm happy just to see those gears turn at all.
22
23 Now I need to figure out something better for my fb.modes file. The
24 framebuffer console text is tiny at 1280x1024.
25
26 Adios, DW