From: jksands@×××××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alphaserver 1000 4/266M
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:10:19
nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@×××××.com> wrote on 04/01/2007 05:03:40
> Thomas Cort wrote: > > Welcome Nick, > > > > > >> Anyone who has one of these machines, or knows anything about them, > >> please let me know the goings on. > >> > > > > I have an AlphaServer 1000 4/233. I think it is pretty similar to what > > you've got. A few things I ran into during the install.... > > > > The CD-ROM drive wouldn't boot the live CD. I'm not sure if you'll run > > into the same problem since the drive was really old and could have > > just been broken. I replaced it with a used SCSI CD-ROM for $10 from > > the local computer store and it booted just fine. > > > > If it doesn't power on at all, make sure the top panel of the case is > > on and properly in place. The middle of the top panel of the case has
> > small piece of metal oriented downwards. When the top panel is put
> > in place properly, the small piece of metal will press down on a > > switch. When the switch isn't pressed down, the system will refuse to > > power on. > > > > > >> Anyone who wants to tell a first time Alpha user some advice, I'm > >> listening. :) > >> > > > > A few things to remember when partitioning.... "the first cylinder > > cannot be used as the [bootloader] image will be placed there," so you > > should start your partitions after the first cylinder. This is in the > > documentation, but is easy to miss. Also, the bootloader (aboot) can > > only boot kernels from ext2 and ext3 partitions. If you want to use > > another filesystem for the root filesystem, you'll need to create a > > separate /boot partition. > > > > You CFLAGS should look like this "-mcpu=ev4 -pipe -O2 -mieee" > > I might be wrong about the mcpu value (it could be ev45), check the > > "cpu model" line in /proc/cpuinfo to see which is correct. The -mieee > > enables full IEEE floating point support. > > > > Documentation is available here: > > > > > > You can ask for help on this mailing list, in #gentoo-alpha on > >, and on the forums in the "Alternative Architecture" > > forum. Bugs can be reported on > > > > I hope that helped. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. > > > > -Thomas > > > > PS: if you want to impress your friends, you can change the text > > displayed on the LCD by typing "SET OCP_TEXT MyText" (without quotes) > > into the SRM console and rebooting. A picture of this is on my blog > > > > > Anyone else have experience with a machine of this type? I am finally > able to work on it now that I have reclaimed some room in my unix > dungeon. :) Any info at all appreciated. > > Nick > > "All unix, all the time." > > > -- > gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list >
I have an AS1000 4/233 that I subsequently upgraded to a 5/333. Getting Gentoo (and Windows NT) up and running was fairly painless. I too had a problem with the CD-ROM drive. Finding a newer SCSI drive solved that problem. The handbook was spot on about the disk partitioning and was overall a big help. I stuck in a PCI Matrox card for video support and even found enough parity RAM to have 512 MB. After some fiddling I had Gnome running and was browsing with Firefox. With the 6 SCSI disks my machine came with, it truly was a noisy beast of a system (and heavy!). Unfortunately, the 5/333 CPU card died over a year ago; without another ev5 card, I can't 'downgrade' the firmware back to support the 4/233 card and reclaim my system :( -Jeremy -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list