From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] symlinks in EPREFIX path
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:42:02
1 On 07-11-2007 17:34:57 +0000, Marshall McMullen wrote:
2 > So, I think I've discovered a subtle bug that should be pretty easy to fix.
3 >
4 > I had set EPREFIX to /gsa/ausgsa/projects/g/gnu as this is the path name
5 > provided to me by the owner of the system. Everything has been emerging fine until
6 > today I tried emerging python-fchksum-1.7.1. This fails due to a QA notice about
7 > files being installed outside of the prefix:
8 >
9 > * QA Notice: the following files are outside of the prefix:
10 > * /gsa/ausgsa-p5
11 > /gsa/ausgsa-p5/15
12 > /gsa/ausgsa-p5/15/gnu
13 >
14 > So, I found it odd that it was reporting the prefix as "/gsa/ausgsa-p5" and did some
15 > checking on the system. In /gsa/ausgsa/projects/g there is a symlink for gnu:
16 >
17 > gnu -> ../../../ausgsa-p5/15/gnu
18 >
19 > which thus evaluates to "/gsa/ausgsa-p5/15/gnu". So, why is the eprefix being set to
20 > /gsa/ausgsa-p5 in this particular QA check ?
21 >
22 > At any rate, I found an easy workaround. I exported EPREFIX to be the actual _real_
23 > path with no symlinks in it, as in: EPREFIX=/gsa/ausgsa-p5/15/gnu and then was able
24 > to emerge the package successfully.
25 >
26 > Is this something prefixed-portage should handle, or the ebuild or should I solve it
27 > manually via the export trick I did ?
28
29 prefixed-portage.
30
31 We run path.normpath() on EPREFIX provided by you, but I guess we should
32 use the absolute path thinghy that portage internally also uses for
33 almost everything to avoid this kind of things from happening.
34
35 I don't really like abspath things, because it can possibly screw up
36 location independence (think of an automounter path being expanded on
37 e.g. OSX and BSD).
38
39 That said maybe python-fchcksum is easily fixable.
43 Fabian Groffen
44 Gentoo on a different level
45 --
46 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list