From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] About KEYWORDS in the prefix tree
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:08:24
1 On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:41:09 +0000, Alan Hourihane <alanh@×××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3 > On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 08:18 -0600, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
4 >> All -
5 >> Heads up. Historically, the prefix tree contained *only* ebuilds that
6 >> were tested to work. As such, they had "prefix" style keywords.
7 >> (~amd64-linux, ~ppc-macos, etc). Going forward, our tree will be having
8
9 >> more and more ebuilds that have not been tested to work with prefix.
10 >> That is, no prefix keywords but maybe ~amd64, ppc, etc. You cannot set
11 >> your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "amd64" and expect an unchecked ebuild to just
12 >> work for prefix.
13 >>
14 >> I've seen more than one person on IRC ask about this, a guaranteed way
15 >> to set yourself up for failure. If an ebuild is missing your *prefix*
16 >> keyword, then it needs to be fixed and file a bug for the working
17 >> package. (We do not have the manpower/motivation to fix all the
18 packages
19 >> ourselves)
20 >>
21 >> Here is some help:
22 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml
23 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
24 >>
25 >> Please ask if you need help with something.
26 >
27 > Just a question on this.
28 >
29 > Are we going to see portage merged in with mainline ?
30
31 Are you talking about prefix-portage (the package) or portage (the tree)?
32 If the latter, its already being done (what this email is about) and you
33 as
34 a prefix and gentoo linux user haven't noticed so I guess it is pretty
35 transparent. ;)
36 http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/whitelist.txt
37
38 If you are talking about the package, then it is being worked on. No ETA.
41 > And if so, how is a prefix defined differently from normal usage ?
42 >
43 > Thanks,
44 >
45 > Alan.