From: Alan Hourihane <alanh@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] About KEYWORDS in the prefix tree
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:40:59
1 On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 08:18 -0600, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > All -
3 > Heads up. Historically, the prefix tree contained *only* ebuilds that
4 > were tested to work. As such, they had "prefix" style keywords.
5 > (~amd64-linux, ~ppc-macos, etc). Going forward, our tree will be having
6 > more and more ebuilds that have not been tested to work with prefix.
7 > That is, no prefix keywords but maybe ~amd64, ppc, etc. You cannot set
8 > your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "amd64" and expect an unchecked ebuild to just
9 > work for prefix.
10 >
11 > I've seen more than one person on IRC ask about this, a guaranteed way
12 > to set yourself up for failure. If an ebuild is missing your *prefix*
13 > keyword, then it needs to be fixed and file a bug for the working
14 > package. (We do not have the manpower/motivation to fix all the packages
15 > ourselves)
16 >
17 > Here is some help:
18 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml
19 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
20 >
21 > Please ask if you need help with something.
22
23 Just a question on this.
24
25 Are we going to see portage merged in with mainline ?
26
27 And if so, how is a prefix defined differently from normal usage ?
28
29 Thanks,
30
31 Alan.