From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Bootstrap stable?
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 07:44:59
1 Hi Francois,
2
3 On 04-04-2019 07:23:50 +0000, Francois Bissey wrote:
4 > > On 4/04/2019, at 19:49, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
5 [snip]
6 > > On 04-04-2019 01:51:58 +0000, Francois Bissey wrote:
7 [snip]
8 > >> Basically if you want to reproduce some the scenarios managed by spack you
9 > >> need multiple prefix.
10 > >
11 > > So what scenarios exactly are these?
12 >
13 > It can be several versions of the same software as stated earlier. Either executable
14 > or libraries.
15 > For example while gromacs 5.x was stable a user wanted me to resurrect a copy of gromacs
16 > 3 something because it was the last version with a particular potential in the feature
17 > set and that’s what they wanted to use.
18 > You can have the same software compiled with different compilers. Which can be various
19 > version of gcc/intel compilers or other proprietary compiler (PGI comes to mind as well
20 > as cray which has its own toolchain). Because of potential incompatibilities in the
21 > Fortran binary interface you will have a tree by fortran compiler vendor and sometimes
22 > different version of the same compiler (gcc 4 to 6, gcc 7 and gcc 8 all have a different
23 > runtime want to troll bugzilla to see how many problems that created to users?).
24 > People will want a particular compiler because the software they use compiled with
25 > another compiler won’t pass the test suite or crash in their particular extreme
26 > scenario. And another group using the same software will want a different compiler for the
27 > same reason.
28
29 I see. The tendency of Gentoo (or: some developers) has been to reduce
30 slots and concurrent versions. GCC once had USE=multislot for instance,
31 Perl used to be slotted. but I see how there is a wide range of
32 packages that never were slotted in Gentoo, and/or never will be.
33 I know there are projects that install "pillars" or something that
34 truely allow multiple concurrent versions to be installed, because they
35 use completely different target trees. Prefix wasn't designed to be
36 like that, this would require a different approach from Portage itself.
37
38 I could see something like stacked prefixes to suit some of the above
39 use-cases, combined with binpkg support to quickly launch various
40 different incarnations of combinations of tools. Nevertheless, there
41 will be problems. And Prefix is never going to solve them all :)
42
43 Thanks for your explanation, I'm sure there must be some "pain" in even
44 having to describe the situation ...
45
46 Fabian
47