From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] 'Continuous Integration' for Gentoo Prefix?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 08:38:18
1 On 26/11/18 08:32, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 26-11-2018 08:27:41 +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
3 >> On 26/11/18 08:11, Fabian Groffen wrote [as excerpted]:
4 >>> Hi Sam,
5 >>>
6 >>> On 26-11-2018 15:02:26 +1100, Sam Pfeiffer wrote:
7 >>>> With Azure announcing unlimited minutes on CI/CD for open source projects:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> [4]https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-azure-pipelines-with-unlimited-ci-cd-minutes-for-open-source/
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Even bootstrapping Gentoo prefix, with pieces of software like gcc taking very
12 >>>> long to compile, is possible.
13 >>> I'm still missing the infra to administer this, but I have a wrapper
14 >>> script to bootstrap-prefix.sh (I'm sure others (haubi?) have too) to do
15 >>> an unattended bootstrap. I want this to run automatically on some boxes
16 >>> I have, but some of them will take several days to complete.
17 >>> Another thing is for a bootstrapped prefix to periodically emerge --sync
18 >>> and emerge -Dua world. Add on top of that detecting which packages have
19 >>> keywords for said prefix and installing them, and we should be able to
20 >>> be notice breakage rather sooner than later.
21 >>>
22 >> From what I have observed, breakage seems to be undesirably frequent, and
23 >> there are regularly users in #gentoo-prefix on IRC complaining that
24 >> bootstrap-prefix.sh fails.
25 >>
26 >> I'm sure that if native Gentoo hardware isn't available, it should be
27 >> possible to approach OSL or other providers (I, myself, am using
28 >> IntegriCloud for powerpc development) to sponsor a host, and/or put
29 >> together a funding bid to the Trustees (there is capital available).
30 >>
31 >> TL;DR I don't think "ENOINFRA" is a particularly good excuse in this
32 >> day-and-age of cloud-based solutions.
33 > Sorry. with Infra, I didn't mean the team or the hardware, I meant the
34 > scripting/software to keep track of the builds and visualise their
35 > results. I can fire off a bootstrap right now, but there is nothing
36 > picking up on their results.
37 >
38 >> Let us help you, and perhaps we can get the very popular Gentoo Prefix onto
39 >> a slightly firmer footing! :)
40 > At this point I think he project at the very least needs a lot of
41 > helping hands. I totally agree, automation is the way forward, but it
42 > always will need caretakers.
43 >
44 > Thanks,
45 > Fabian
48 I'll throw my 'oar' in here too - I've been helping out extensively with
49 the kernelCI project @alicef spawned. We're presently using buildbot to do
50 automated emerges and a 'make defconfig' on the kernel sources, just to
51 make sure patching works, and compiles. We've actually reached a point too,
52 where we QEMU-boot said kernel image into a pre-built stage4.
53
54 I'm happy to share some of the know-how to get some of this spun up for
55 prefix if it's desirable. I've had to replicate the 'production' setup
56 locally in order to develop and test changes, so its a process I'm becoming
57 pretty familiar with.
58
59 Buildbot is python, so it integrates pretty well with portage, and is
60 accessible for devs. Let me know if this is a direction that would be
61 favourable.
62
63 https://github.com/gentoo/Gentoo_kernelCI/
64