From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] 'Continuous Integration' for Gentoo Prefix?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 08:32:24
1 On 26-11-2018 08:27:41 +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 26/11/18 08:11, Fabian Groffen wrote [as excerpted]:
3 > > Hi Sam,
4 > >
5 > > On 26-11-2018 15:02:26 +1100, Sam Pfeiffer wrote:
6 > >> With Azure announcing unlimited minutes on CI/CD for open source projects:
7 > >>
8 > >> [4]https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-azure-pipelines-with-unlimited-ci-cd-minutes-for-open-source/
9 > >>
10 > >> Even bootstrapping Gentoo prefix, with pieces of software like gcc taking very
11 > >> long to compile, is possible.
12 > > I'm still missing the infra to administer this, but I have a wrapper
13 > > script to bootstrap-prefix.sh (I'm sure others (haubi?) have too) to do
14 > > an unattended bootstrap. I want this to run automatically on some boxes
15 > > I have, but some of them will take several days to complete.
16 > > Another thing is for a bootstrapped prefix to periodically emerge --sync
17 > > and emerge -Dua world. Add on top of that detecting which packages have
18 > > keywords for said prefix and installing them, and we should be able to
19 > > be notice breakage rather sooner than later.
20 > >
21 > From what I have observed, breakage seems to be undesirably frequent, and
22 > there are regularly users in #gentoo-prefix on IRC complaining that
23 > bootstrap-prefix.sh fails.
24 >
25 > I'm sure that if native Gentoo hardware isn't available, it should be
26 > possible to approach OSL or other providers (I, myself, am using
27 > IntegriCloud for powerpc development) to sponsor a host, and/or put
28 > together a funding bid to the Trustees (there is capital available).
29 >
30 > TL;DR I don't think "ENOINFRA" is a particularly good excuse in this
31 > day-and-age of cloud-based solutions.
32
33 Sorry. with Infra, I didn't mean the team or the hardware, I meant the
34 scripting/software to keep track of the builds and visualise their
35 results. I can fire off a bootstrap right now, but there is nothing
36 picking up on their results.
37
38 > Let us help you, and perhaps we can get the very popular Gentoo Prefix onto
39 > a slightly firmer footing! :)
40
41 At this point I think he project at the very least needs a lot of
42 helping hands. I totally agree, automation is the way forward, but it
43 always will need caretakers.
44
45 Thanks,
46 Fabian