From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] 'Continuous Integration' for Gentoo Prefix?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 08:28:05
1 On 26/11/18 08:11, Fabian Groffen wrote [as excerpted]:
2 > Hi Sam,
3 >
4 > On 26-11-2018 15:02:26 +1100, Sam Pfeiffer wrote:
5 >> With Azure announcing unlimited minutes on CI/CD for open source projects:
6 >>
7 >> [4]https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-azure-pipelines-with-unlimited-ci-cd-minutes-for-open-source/
8 >>
9 >> Even bootstrapping Gentoo prefix, with pieces of software like gcc taking very
10 >> long to compile, is possible.
11 > I'm still missing the infra to administer this, but I have a wrapper
12 > script to bootstrap-prefix.sh (I'm sure others (haubi?) have too) to do
13 > an unattended bootstrap. I want this to run automatically on some boxes
14 > I have, but some of them will take several days to complete.
15 > Another thing is for a bootstrapped prefix to periodically emerge --sync
16 > and emerge -Dua world. Add on top of that detecting which packages have
17 > keywords for said prefix and installing them, and we should be able to
18 > be notice breakage rather sooner than later.
19 >
20 From what I have observed, breakage seems to be undesirably frequent, and
21 there are regularly users in #gentoo-prefix on IRC complaining that
22 bootstrap-prefix.sh fails.
23
24 I'm sure that if native Gentoo hardware isn't available, it should be
25 possible to approach OSL or other providers (I, myself, am using
26 IntegriCloud for powerpc development) to sponsor a host, and/or put
27 together a funding bid to the Trustees (there is capital available).
28
29 TL;DR I don't think "ENOINFRA" is a particularly good excuse in this
30 day-and-age of cloud-based solutions.
31
32 Let us help you, and perhaps we can get the very popular Gentoo Prefix onto
33 a slightly firmer footing! :)
34
35 Best Regards,
36