From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Purpose of Gentoo Prefix [clarifications]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:28:01
1 On 27-10-2008 23:20:25 +0530, Narendra Prasad Madanapalli wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am currently using prefix portage and still need some clarifications
5 > on the following
6 >
7 > Why do we need Prefix Portage insted of the combination of
8 > chroot+portage?
9 > For example,
10 > * set up chroot environment in /opt/myprefix
11 > * chroot /opt/myprefix
12 > * Install all necessary packages based on normal-portage inside it.
13 >
14 > Even though prefix-portage based s/w can be installed as normal user,
15 > admin previleges are required to start/stop servers inside the s/w. In
16 > this case chroot+normal portage is enough than prefix.
17
18 You have the luxury of having access to a privileged user, some of us
19 don't :)
20
21 > And more over, chroot+normal-poragate can be used inside any directory
22 > of user choice.
23 >
24 > Can anybody please provide appropriate answers for the above so that I
25 > will be cleared and proceed with proper portage.
26
27 It's a matter of perspective. You can't have some tool from your chroot
28 being used without being in the chroot, whereas you can run a tool from
29 your Prefix, while not being inside your Prefix (e.g. rsync on Solaris).
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level