From: Narendra Prasad Madanapalli <narendramind@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Purpose of Gentoo Prefix [clarifications]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:50:27
1 Hi,
2
3 I am currently using prefix portage and still need some clarifications on
4 the following
5
6 Why do we need Prefix Portage insted of the combination of chroot+portage?
7 For example,
8 * set up chroot environment in */opt/myprefix*
9 * chroot */opt/myprefix*
10 * Install all necessary packages based on *normal-portage* inside it.
11
12 Even though prefix-portage based s/w can be installed as normal user, admin
13 previleges are required to start/stop servers inside the s/w. In this case
14 chroot+normal portage is enough than prefix.
15 And more over, *chroot+normal-poragate* can be used inside any directory of
16 user choice.
17
18 Can anybody please provide appropriate answers for the above so that I will
19 be cleared and proceed with proper portage.
23 Thanks,
24 Narendra.