From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Purpose of Gentoo Prefix [clarifications]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:14:49
1 On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Narendra Prasad Madanapalli
2 <narendramind@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I am currently using prefix portage and still need some clarifications on
6 > the following
7 >
8 > Why do we need Prefix Portage insted of the combination of chroot+portage?
9 > For example,
10 > * set up chroot environment in /opt/myprefix
11 > * chroot /opt/myprefix
12 > * Install all necessary packages based on normal-portage inside it.
13 >
14 > Even though prefix-portage based s/w can be installed as normal user, admin
15 > previleges are required to start/stop servers inside the s/w. In this case
16 > chroot+normal portage is enough than prefix.
17 > And more over, chroot+normal-poragate can be used inside any directory of
18 > user choice.
19
20 No, that is incorrect, you need root access to use chroot. Assuming
21 you have root access, yea, a chroot might suit your needs better.
22
23 Additionally, please see some documented use cases already:
24 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/usecases.xml
25
26 -Jeremy
29 > Can anybody please provide appropriate answers for the above so that I will
30 > be cleared and proceed with proper portage.
34 > Thanks,
35 > Narendra.
36 >