From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] ppc-macos support
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 08:25:10
1 For whoever is interested in this.
2
3 Just as a pet-project of mine, I recently re-vamped ppc-macos support in
4 Prefix. I've only done Leopard (10.5), don't think my enthusiasm spans
5 to Tiger (10.4). :)
6
7 Because clang really doesn't want to work/compile at all on PowerPC
8 (missing implementations for atomics and more) I decided to use FSF
9 gcc-7.3.0 instead. It compiles out of the box, and allows to use newer
10 C++ standards (the real problem with newer software basically).
11
12 At some point I was able to bootstrap, it currently is probably broken,
13 because FSF GCC can't compile binutils-apple and csu. I "fixed" the
14 latter by requiring gcc-apple-4.2.1, and could do the same for binutils,
15 but I was hoping to get binutils-apple-7.3.1 compiling, as that version
16 is much more recent and has some experimental PPC support (added back).
17
18 I don't know if anyone is (like me, crazy enough) interested in
19 ppc-macos, but if there is, at least this is the headsup :)
20
21 Thanks,
22 Fabian
25 Fabian Groffen