From: Alan Hourihane <alanh@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Performing Global Updates message
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:52:27
1 On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 19:37 +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:27:07 +0100, Alan Hourihane <alanh@×××××××××××.uk>
3 > wrote:
4 > > Everytime I do an emerge --sync I get the "Performing Global Updates"
5 > > message before it even starts to sync now, and it's only started
6 > > happening in the last few portage versions (can't remember which one
7 > > started it).
8 > >
9 > > It performs the same updates everytime, even simple emerge's for new
10 > > packages too....
11 > >
12 > > Why would this be happening ?
13 > >
14 > > Thanks,
15 > >
16 > > Alan.
17 >
18 > Does it happen even if you do not issue a --sync between? AFAIK, if the
19 > mtime of the updates file in the profile dir changes then portage will
20 > preform updates. So, naturally, if gentoo devs are modifying this file
21 > everytime between your --sync time then this is proper. ;)
22
23 Yes it happens everytime, regardless of sync.
24
25 For example, if I do say....
26
27 emerge net-ftp/lftp
28
29 It does a bunch of updates before it starts "Calculating dependencies".
30
31 And for
32
33 emerge --sync
34
35 It does a bunch of updates before the sync happens, then a bunch of them
36 again after it's finished.
37
38 Alan.