From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] the future of Prefix
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:16:47
1 On 08-10-2008 15:12:50 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > <thoughts>
3 > I'm unsure if stating the prefix-awareness in EAPI is right at all, as
4 > it is orthogonal and works with any EAPI.
5 > One could think of leaving this indicator to the KEYWORDS - and call
6 > prefix an "arch" somehow: When an ebuild becomes keyworded XXX-YYYY,
7 > then it is prefix-aware.
8 > This implies that we keep the "XXX-linux" keyword[4.1].
9 > What to do then with current non-prefix XXX-fbsd keywords - don't know
10 > anything about the activity of that archs. Eventually they could do the
11 > same as what you did with XXX-macos.
12 > Or we rename our keywords to "x86+linux", where "+" stands for "prefix"?
13 > </thoughts>
14
15 interesting, but I don't think misusing keywords for Prefix is good.
16
17 > > [4] we extended to full XXX-YYYY for clarity, probably won't get the
18 > > -YYYY part if "-linux", but we also added x64- for XXX-, which will
19 > > introduce a big war (also sort of whatever, the keyword is the most
20 > > important). Last point, the introduction of all of our keywords and
21 > > profiles (quite some) and maybe ekeyword's sorting order.
22 >
23 > [4.1] I'm afraid we should not share the same keyword for both "Gentoo
24 > Linux" and "Gentoo Prefix on any Linux" within the same tree, although
25 > it's just a feeling ATM.
26
27 That's a good point. Gentoo Linux != Prefix Linux.
31 Fabian Groffen
32 Gentoo on a different level