From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] the future of Prefix
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:12:55
1 On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 10:50 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 > Well, I personally think we need to put the EAPI problem[1] in there,
4 > the extra variables[2] and functions[3] for Portage. Later concern are
5 > our keywords[4] and our ground braking core ebuild changes[5]. If the
6 > consensus is to accept our EAPI thing, devs have to keep ebuilds that
7 > are EAPI=?prefix. That's the deal. One of the problems is that we need
8 > to touch quite a lot of ebuilds, as well as the issue from[1].
9 >
10 > I think we can start with merging trivial non-intrusive patches for
11 > compilation stuff to packages to gentoo-x86 already. We should probably
12 > at the same time push them upstream and annotate the patches where not
13 > done with that upstream tracker/link.
16 > [1] prefix is orthogonal to all other existing EAPIs, e.g. it can be
17 > overlayed other EAPIs. Problem here is do we do EAPI="prefix 1" or
18 > EAPI="prefix-1", and what do we do with base-system ebuilds? We need
19 > them, but they need to remain EAPI=0 (EAPI absent) as well for obvious
20 > reasons. What's best to do here?
21
22 <thoughts>
23 I'm unsure if stating the prefix-awareness in EAPI is right at all, as
24 it is orthogonal and works with any EAPI.
25 One could think of leaving this indicator to the KEYWORDS - and call
26 prefix an "arch" somehow: When an ebuild becomes keyworded XXX-YYYY,
27 then it is prefix-aware.
28 This implies that we keep the "XXX-linux" keyword[4.1].
29 What to do then with current non-prefix XXX-fbsd keywords - don't know
30 anything about the activity of that archs. Eventually they could do the
31 same as what you did with XXX-macos.
32 Or we rename our keywords to "x86+linux", where "+" stands for "prefix"?
33 </thoughts>
34
35 > [2] EPREFIX, ED, EROOT, can we agree on their name and definition?
36 >
37 > [3] eprefixify, often used in prefix part of EAPI
38
39 ok.
40
41 > [4] we extended to full XXX-YYYY for clarity, probably won't get the
42 > -YYYY part if "-linux", but we also added x64- for XXX-, which will
43 > introduce a big war (also sort of whatever, the keyword is the most
44 > important). Last point, the introduction of all of our keywords and
45 > profiles (quite some) and maybe ekeyword's sorting order.
46
47 [4.1] I'm afraid we should not share the same keyword for both "Gentoo
48 Linux" and "Gentoo Prefix on any Linux" within the same tree, although
49 it's just a feeling ATM.
50
51 > [5] some base-system ebuilds and eclasses need non-trivial changes for
52 > our arches or Prefix (think of GCC ebuild/eclasses), need agreement here
53 > from their maintainers
54
55 ok.
56