From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] the future of Prefix
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:50:16
1 On 08-10-2008 10:33:51 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > > Yes. But the Portage guys don't like to push in our work before it's
3 > > accepted by the community (e.g. proper consensus discussion on -dev).
4 >
5 > Ah - so we need to get acceptance on something like this one on -dev?
6 > <>
7 > We want to have Prefix support in portage:
8 > Normal usage in main Gentoo Linux will continue to work.
9 > It is a different question if Prefix-bits (profiles, keywords,
10 > ebuild-/eclass-changes, ...) go into the main tree, although this is our
11 > vision. This vision also includes "You won't need to support/fix Prefix
12 > bits, just accept and keep them over revbumps like you do for different
13 > archs."
14 > We won't support flame wars.
15 > </>
16
17 Well, I personally think we need to put the EAPI problem[1] in there,
18 the extra variables[2] and functions[3] for Portage. Later concern are
19 our keywords[4] and our ground braking core ebuild changes[5]. If the
20 consensus is to accept our EAPI thing, devs have to keep ebuilds that
21 are EAPI=?prefix. That's the deal. One of the problems is that we need
22 to touch quite a lot of ebuilds, as well as the issue from[1].
23
24 I think we can start with merging trivial non-intrusive patches for
25 compilation stuff to packages to gentoo-x86 already. We should probably
26 at the same time push them upstream and annotate the patches where not
27 done with that upstream tracker/link.
30 [1] prefix is orthogonal to all other existing EAPIs, e.g. it can be
31 overlayed other EAPIs. Problem here is do we do EAPI="prefix 1" or
32 EAPI="prefix-1", and what do we do with base-system ebuilds? We need
33 them, but they need to remain EAPI=0 (EAPI absent) as well for obvious
34 reasons. What's best to do here?
35
36 [2] EPREFIX, ED, EROOT, can we agree on their name and definition?
37
38 [3] eprefixify, often used in prefix part of EAPI
39
40 [4] we extended to full XXX-YYYY for clarity, probably won't get the
41 -YYYY part if "-linux", but we also added x64- for XXX-, which will
42 introduce a big war (also sort of whatever, the keyword is the most
43 important). Last point, the introduction of all of our keywords and
44 profiles (quite some) and maybe ekeyword's sorting order.
45
46 [5] some base-system ebuilds and eclasses need non-trivial changes for
47 our arches or Prefix (think of GCC ebuild/eclasses), need agreement here
48 from their maintainers
52 Fabian Groffen
53 Gentoo on a different level