From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] the future of Prefix
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:34:35
1 On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 09:19 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 08-10-2008 09:12:06 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3
4 > > Eventually we could have portage-trunk containing prefix-support, with
5 > > some "--enable-prefix-support" if even necessary, to have only one
6 > > portage codebase for main- and prefix-tree.
7 >
8 > The prefix branch is already "backwards" compatible with normal Portage.
9 > I tested it on a normal Gentoo Linux install once.
10
11 Fine - just wanted to have this being said again ;)
12
13 > > Before we can get full prefix-aware ebuilds into main-tree, we need to
14 > > get the next EAPI (3?) defined, where EPREFIX/EROOT/ED are exported, and
15 > > what should happen to the KEYWORDs.
16 >
17 > Yes. But the Portage guys don't like to push in our work before it's
18 > accepted by the community (e.g. proper consensus discussion on -dev).
19
20 Ah - so we need to get acceptance on something like this one on -dev?
21 <>
22 We want to have Prefix support in portage:
23 Normal usage in main Gentoo Linux will continue to work.
24 It is a different question if Prefix-bits (profiles, keywords,
25 ebuild-/eclass-changes, ...) go into the main tree, although this is our
26 vision. This vision also includes "You won't need to support/fix Prefix
27 bits, just accept and keep them over revbumps like you do for different
28 archs."
29 We won't support flame wars.
30 </>
31