From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] the future of Prefix
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 07:19:55
1 On 08-10-2008 09:12:06 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 08:08 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > > On 08-10-2008 07:39:51 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
5 > > > > So can we start piecemeal and pushing the portage changes to mainline
6 > > > > first, but keep your current changes in prefix so we can continue in
7 > > > > parallel ?
8 > > >
9 > > > +1. I think this is the way to go. We only have to get portage devs in our
10 > > > boat :)
11 > >
12 > > They are "in our boat", but we cannot push things that change the
13 > > behaviour, such as an EAPI, without proper discussing on -dev first.
14 > > All our features were already pushed to trunk (such as repoman with svn
15 > > support).
16 >
17 > my €0.02:
18 >
19 > First we might need to outline how the EAPI actually changes when
20 > EPREFIX="", because $D == $ED, $ROOT == $EROOT.
21
22 Ehm...
23 This feels like trivial to me. The entire prefix branch is designed to
24 be completely compatible when EPREFIX is "" at configure time.
25 (Privilege related changes put aside, but they should Portage wise also
26 be backwards compatible configurable.)
27
28 > Eventually we could have portage-trunk containing prefix-support, with
29 > some "--enable-prefix-support" if even necessary, to have only one
30 > portage codebase for main- and prefix-tree.
31
32 The prefix branch is already "backwards" compatible with normal Portage.
33 I tested it on a normal Gentoo Linux install once.
34
35 > Before we can get full prefix-aware ebuilds into main-tree, we need to
36 > get the next EAPI (3?) defined, where EPREFIX/EROOT/ED are exported, and
37 > what should happen to the KEYWORDs.
38
39 Yes. But the Portage guys don't like to push in our work before it's
40 accepted by the community (e.g. proper consensus discussion on -dev).
44 Fabian Groffen
45 Gentoo on a different level