From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] the future of Prefix
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 07:12:13
1 On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 08:08 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 08-10-2008 07:39:51 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
3 > > > So can we start piecemeal and pushing the portage changes to mainline
4 > > > first, but keep your current changes in prefix so we can continue in
5 > > > parallel ?
6 > >
7 > > +1. I think this is the way to go. We only have to get portage devs in our
8 > > boat :)
9 >
10 > They are "in our boat", but we cannot push things that change the
11 > behaviour, such as an EAPI, without proper discussing on -dev first.
12 > All our features were already pushed to trunk (such as repoman with svn
13 > support).
14
15 my ยค0.02:
16
17 First we might need to outline how the EAPI actually changes when
18 EPREFIX="", because $D == $ED, $ROOT == $EROOT.
19
20 Eventually we could have portage-trunk containing prefix-support, with
21 some "--enable-prefix-support" if even necessary, to have only one
22 portage codebase for main- and prefix-tree.
23
24 Before we can get full prefix-aware ebuilds into main-tree, we need to
25 get the next EAPI (3?) defined, where EPREFIX/EROOT/ED are exported, and
26 what should happen to the KEYWORDs.
27
28 /haubi/
29 --