From: rabbe@×××××××.se
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Is it recommendable to prepend the PKG_CONFIG_PATH?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:07:24
1 > On 05-08-2008 09:20:26 +0200, rabbe@×××××××.se wrote:
2 >> When trying to emerge x11-libs/vte in a prefix tree I get a failure
3 >> because the package requires a sufficiently recent glib.
4 >>
5 >> I can work myself around this by declaring
6 >>
7 >> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$EPREFIX/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
8 >> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$EPREFIX/usr/share/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
9 >>
10 >> Is this in fact something that would be recommendable to do all the
11 >> time?
12 >>
13 >> If so, at which point in the bootstrapping sequence?
14 >
15 > What you call "bootstrap", to me is no longer bootstrapping at all.
16 > After your emerge -e system && ./startprefix.sh your system contains all
17 > the basic blocks that it needs. In other words, no X library at all is
18 > in system (and hence the bootstrap). If it fails to compile/install in
19 > a working prefix instance, then that's a normal bug. However, in this
20 > case I'm sure we've patched pkgconfig to look in prefix paths, so your
21 > export should be void. Maybe somehow pkgconfig hasn't been installed in
22 > your prefix? Or the host provided pkgconfig is somehow used?
23 > --
24 > Fabian Groffen
25
26 You're right, I was really thinking of extending PKG_CONFIG_PATH at some
27 point after the second "emerge -e system" so it is not to be called
28 bootstrapping.
29
30 The problem with x11-libs/vte is for real though. Typing `which
31 pkg-config' tells me that I am seeing the prefix version of pkg-config.
32 Unless I extend PKG_CONFIG_PATH the emerge fails with
33
34 "Requested 'glib-2.0 > 2.9.0' but version of GLib is 2.8.6".
35
36 --Rabbe