From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Is it recommendable to prepend the PKG_CONFIG_PATH?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:39:25
1 On 05-08-2008 09:20:26 +0200, rabbe@×××××××.se wrote:
2 > When trying to emerge x11-libs/vte in a prefix tree I get a failure
3 > because the package requires a sufficiently recent glib.
4 >
5 > I can work myself around this by declaring
6 >
7 > export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$EPREFIX/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
8 > export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$EPREFIX/usr/share/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
9 >
10 > Is this in fact something that would be recommendable to do all the time?
11 >
12 > If so, at which point in the bootstrapping sequence?
13
14 What you call "bootstrap", to me is no longer bootstrapping at all.
15 After your emerge -e system && ./startprefix.sh your system contains all
16 the basic blocks that it needs. In other words, no X library at all is
17 in system (and hence the bootstrap). If it fails to compile/install in
18 a working prefix instance, then that's a normal bug. However, in this
19 case I'm sure we've patched pkgconfig to look in prefix paths, so your
20 export should be void. Maybe somehow pkgconfig hasn't been installed in
21 your prefix? Or the host provided pkgconfig is somehow used?
25 Fabian Groffen
26 Gentoo on a different level