From: mattmatteh@×××××.com
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gentoo prefix on redhat 7.2
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 18:13:43
1 >> redhat 7.3 was the first linux i used 8 years ago. there a use for
2 >> this or did you just want to see if it can work ?
3 >
4 > I am a normal user so I need to get used to any environment the
5 > administrator gives. There happens to be a redhat 7.2 machine on which I
6 > tried Prefix.
7
8 i suggest yoiu find out the reason for lack of update, and suggest an
9 update.
10
11 > For example, I want to use user mode linux (uml) on it. The glibc-2.2
12 > will not build 2.6.3x kernels. If I compiled the uml kernel elsewhere
13 > and copy to the old machine, there would be "kernel version too low"
14 > fetal error, which is because glibc on the building machine do not have
15 > kernel 2.4 support.
16 >
17 > I was wondering if there is a way to build a binary against lastest
18 > glibc and still keep the compatability to run on 2.4 kernels.
19
20 i think only some embedded apps might use kernel 2.4 where memory is
21 really tiny and a problem or there are proprietary drivers they need.
22
23 matt