From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gentoo prefix on redhat 7.2
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 02:35:19
1 Hello Matt,
2
3 mattmatteh@×××××.com writes:
4
5 > redhat 7.3 was the first linux i used 8 years ago. there a use for
6 > this or did you just want to see if it can work ?
7
8 I am a normal user so I need to get used to any environment the
9 administrator gives. There happens to be a redhat 7.2 machine on which I
10 tried Prefix.
11
12 > i recall trying to get prefix on ps2 and that was about the same as
13 > redhat 7.2, upstream might not accept patches to get it to work. you
14 > would just be old packages, the ps2 has another disadvantage of being
15 > whacky hardware.
16
17 Currently there are some problems on the old glibc version and kernel
18 version.
19
20 For example, I want to use user mode linux (uml) on it. The glibc-2.2
21 will not build 2.6.3x kernels. If I compiled the uml kernel elsewhere
22 and copy to the old machine, there would be "kernel version too low"
23 fetal error, which is because glibc on the building machine do not have
24 kernel 2.4 support.
25
26 I was wondering if there is a way to build a binary against lastest
27 glibc and still keep the compatability to run on 2.4 kernels.
28
29 Cheers!
30 --
31 XU Benda