From: "François Bissey" <francois.bissey@×××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gcc on OS X
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 20:37:25
1 On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:05:25 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, November 7, 2012, Francois Bissey wrote:
3 > > On 07/11/12 21:08, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
4 > > > 07.11.2012, 07:03, "François Bissey"
5 > > > <francois.bissey@×××××××××××××.nz<javascript:;>> >
6 > > >> Hi,
7 > > >>
8 > > >> I have currently a prefix on OS X and I use gcc-apple. I tried a couple
9 > > >> of times to use vanilla gcc which is currently masked but I had
10 > >
11 > > problems.
12 > >
13 > > > You can unmask it and emerge, than use it as your default portage
14 > >
15 > > compiler.
18 > > Yes and it will regularly fail to compile stuff. I have tried it this
19 > > afternoon and it failed to compile glib (that was gcc-4.6.3) it is
20 > > masked for a reason. I am just wondering what we want to do long term
21 > > because vanilla gcc seem to be unreliable.
22 >
23 > "We" do nothing. You can poke upstream of your favorite project to make the
24 > software work with older compilers or provide patches. It is just
25 > unreasonable to ask the downstream enabler to fix random projects.
26 > -Jeremy
29 I am still unsure if Jeremy was trolling basically saying that software should
30 support ancient compilers and basically forgo new features or may be have
31 a fall back (like that will happen especially with C++).
32 Anyway I synced yesterday and the last victim is eix. I remember the days
33 before eix - painfully.
34 CXX=clang++ emerge -uv eix worked well but using gcc-apple failed miserably.
35
36 A further question: Is it, in the interim of a better solution, OK to depend
37 and set the compiler to clang on macos in a ebuild or should we just put a
38 warning that they will have to set clang in pkg-setup?
39
40 Francois