From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Future of x64-cygwin, x86-winnt?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 08:48:17
1 Hey Martin,
2
3 On 18-01-2021 06:04:45 +0100, Martin Oberzalek wrote:
4 >
5 > Hello Fabian,
6 >
7 > > So, the inevitable question: who needs x64-cygwin/x86-winnt, and who
8 > > would take care of maintaining it? If noone steps up (I cannot even run
9 > > the platform) before Feb 1st 2021, I'll probably continue and drop these
10 > > two from Gentoo at some point after that.
11 > >
12 > > Please chime in if you have an opinion, info, interest, etc.
13 >
14 > we are using a fork from haubi from last year und using
15 > * x64-cygwin
16 > * x86-winnt
17 > * x64-winnt
18 >
19 > x86-winnt is not so important for us. In fact, maybe we will also switch to WSL for our use case in future...
20
21 Ok, I thought *-winnt targets were native Windows code, apparently WSL
22 is too? (I'm just learning here, I guess.)
23
24 > But now we are using actual cygwin versions and our fork of gentoo. Currently this is only working
25 > with the developer release of the cygwin.dll. What I can do is: testing the gentoo prefix stack with
26 > this upcomming new cygwin release (when its released) and give some feedback. If I can get it working I would update
27 >
28 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin
29
30 I'm trying to understand what this means. I'm sure/certain the current
31 tree doesn't work for Cygwin. This means I anticipate you'll have to
32 patch/fix a lot of packages for it. Would it be more useful to use an
33 overlay for Cygwin instead?
34
35 Thanks,
36 Fabian