From: Martin Oberzalek <martin.oberzalek@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Future of x64-cygwin, x86-winnt?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 06:58:05
1 Hi Fabian,
2
3 Am Montag, den 18.01.2021, 09:48 +0100 schrieb Fabian Groffen:
4
5 > On 18-01-2021 06:04:45 +0100, Martin Oberzalek wrote:
6 > > > So, the inevitable question: who needs x64-cygwin/x86-winnt,
7 > Ok, I thought *-winnt targets were native Windows code, apparently WSL
8 > is too? (I'm just learning here, I guess.)
9
10 You are right, *-winnt is windows native and might be important when
11 compiling on WSL via a compiler wrapper like parity/or other helper tool with eg: visual studio
12
13 > > But now we are using actual cygwin versions and our fork of gentoo. Currently this is only working
14 > > with the developer release of the cygwin.dll. What I can do is: testing the gentoo prefix stack with
15 > > this upcomming new cygwin release (when its released) and give some feedback. If I can get it working I would update
16 > >
17 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin
18 >
19 > I'm trying to understand what this means. I'm sure/certain the current
20 > tree doesn't work for Cygwin. This means I anticipate you'll have to
21 > patch/fix a lot of packages for it. Would it be more useful to use an
22 > overlay for Cygwin instead?
23
24 I agree, maybe this would be a good solution.
25
26 Greetings, Martin