From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Future of x64-cygwin, x86-winnt?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 20:41:04
1 Hi Martin,
2
3 On 19-01-2021 07:58:00 +0100, Martin Oberzalek wrote:
4 > > > gentoo prefix stack with
5 > > > this upcomming new cygwin release (when its released) and give some feedback. If
6 > > > I can get it working I would update
7 > > >
8 > > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin[1]
9 > >
10 > > I'm trying to understand what this means. I'm sure/certain the current
11 > > tree doesn't work for Cygwin. This means I anticipate you'll have to
12 > > patch/fix a lot of packages for it. Would it be more useful to use an
13 > > overlay for Cygwin instead?
14 >
15 > I agree, maybe this would be a good solution.
16
17 I'm looking for who would maintain Cygwin/Windows, and how.
18
19 Currently there is a lot of remnants of Cygwin, but also decay. Python
20 for instance got its Cygwin patches dropped (they didn't apply, and we
21 had to move on for security and other reasons), hence I know for sure
22 that Cygwin support is virtually non-existant in the current tree.
23
24 I don't want to destroy the work of others, but at the current state, I
25 cannot maintain Cygwin or Windows (nor do I have incentive to do so).
26 With haubi retiring from the project, there's officially no Gentoo
27 developers working on this.
28
29 If a separate overlay or fork is the way to go, we can see if we can get
30 such repo on Gentoo hardware and set it up, turn Cygwin into a proper
31 sub-project or something, and move anything necessary there as not to
32 hold back the Prefix migration of whatever's left back into the main
33 gentoo repository.
34
35 Thanks,
36 Fabian